Hema Malini has lived her life under the spotlight

Bollywood Celebrities

Postby Rekha » January 11th, 2018, 1:22 am

"Arre lekin main Delhi mein hoon, aapke ghar mein bandar aa gaya hai toh main kya kar sakti hoon? Aapko main Janardan-ji ka number deti hoon, aap unko phone ki jiye, okay? (I am in Delhi right now, how can I help if a monkey has entered your house? Please call Janardan [her secretary] and he will put you on to the right person).'

As she disconnects, she notices the amazed look on my face.
"I am used to it," she says casually, and picks up from where we left.
IMAGE: A scene from Ramesh Sippy's Seeta Aur Geeta.
"Yes, I used to miss my childhood, but I did get a chance to relive it through Esha and Ahaana. Now that they are becoming mothers, I will get yet another chance to relive my childhood, this time as grandmother! God has been kind to me, so I really should not be sitting and complaining," she says.
Her phone rings once again.
'Ji yeh bilkul galat hai ki kisi ne aapke ghar saamne kacchra dal diya hai, par main Delhi mein hoon abhi, toh kya aap kisi local karyakarta ko phone kar sakte hain? Woh aapki madad karenge! (It's absolutely unforgivable that someone has dumped their garbage right outside your house. But I am currently in Delhi, so it would be better if you could seek help from some local official)."

Rekha

Postby Rekha » January 11th, 2018, 1:21 am

'Ghar kahan dekha maine? (When have I had the chance to enjoy time at home?)' Hema Malini asks, sitting in her easy chair in the sprawling balcony of her New Delhi apartment.

Since she was a child, she has constantly been on the move; one apartment to another, one city to the next, one studio to the other.
Sipping on her green tea with Ayurvedic honey, she reflects, "It's a strange feeling; I started my childhood in Delhi, and now that we are on the last chapter of this book, we are sitting here in my Delhi apartment! It's literally been a full circle."
"Here I am today, looking at Parliament and wondering how that shy little kid from Gole Market, who could barely talk to anyone can today deliver a public speech even in her sleep!"
Hema's living room is tastefully done up with photographs of Dharmendra, Esha, Ahaana, Bharat and Vaibhav on the walls.
I notice that Darien's pictures are missing.
'Those are in my bedroom,' she says with a broad smile. 'Nazar lag jaati hai (Don't want the evil eye to affect him).
IMAGE: With Dharmendra and Gulzar on the set of Devdas, a film that didn't get made.
So, does she think that most of her childhood was lost somewhere in the by-lanes of Gole Market?
Before she can answer my question, her phone starts to ring.
What follows is the first of a hilarious round of frantic calls from the locals of her (Lok Sabha) constituency (Mathura).

Rekha

PreviousNext

Return to Bollywood Celebrities