• Advertisement

Andy Roberts feels West Indies lacks quality fast bowlers

All the latest sports news, scores, rumors, fantasy games, and more

Andy Roberts feels West Indies lacks quality fast bowlers

Postby vivek » July 2nd, 2017, 1:11 pm

West Indies cricket has been going through difficult times from last few years, not only the level of cricket has gone down but also the interest of the fans has also gone down as that can be witnessed from the empty stands in the ongoing India’s tour of West Indies. Former West Indies pacer Andy Roberts refuses to believe that the current squad has any fast bowler.

During a recent interview with Hindustan Times, Roberts talked about talented pacer Alzarri Joseph, he said, “He is not fast. No, he is not fast. He bowls medium pace at 85 and 86 miles. What some of these guys need to do is speak to people, especially those from the past, and learn about their methods of training which made them bowl quick.”

You May Also Like : How To Not Pick Up A Woman

Roberts was the crucial cog of the lethal West Indies bowling attack of the 1970s and 80s, he said, “We don’t have enough pacers in the world. No one’s bowling fasts because rules for short-pitched bowling have changed, batsmen are fully protected. The rules of the game are cutting aggression. You cannot even stare hard at the batsmen else they would find you. They are taking all the aggression out of the game.”

Comparing the modern cricket with his cricketing days, Roberts said, “As a spectator what do you like to see, aggression between batsman and a fast bowler. Cricket, when I played, wasn’t for the chicken-hearted, it was for people with a lion’s heart. Not anymore. What part of cricket is gentle? Let me ask you, women are playing, is it a female’s game? No. People who make all these rules make them sissy’s game.”

Roberts had scalped as many as 202 wickets in 47 Tests and he feels that the fast bowlers need to concentrate on running rather than on spending time in the gym. He said, “I have been asking all along, why do you need the gym? To build muscles? But is fast bowling about muscles, or is it about strength? You build strength only through running and speaking about the West Indies pacers, I think they are not doing enough running.”

The flamboyant pacer concluded by highlighting that the current West Indies squad lacks strength despite having gaps between two matches. He said, “They may be playing more matches but they are spending less time on the field. T20 is four overs, ODIs are less and less now, it is 10 overs. In a Test match, you could bowl as many as 20-25 overs a day. Yeah, there are too many matches but (bowlers are) not spending time on a field. They are bowling as much. We would play back-to-back ODIs, sometimes they’d fit in an ODI on the rest day. But now there is a gap.”

vivek

Return to Sports