Anushka Sharma: I just want to be a better version of myself

Mirch Masala

Anushka Sharma: I just want to be a better version of myself

Postby Yash96 » October 7th, 2017, 9:07 am

What is Anushka Sharma’s life like? ‘Busy’ sounds like an understatement. She has just finished shooting for her next home production, Pari, and the actor is already preparing to join Shah Rukh Khan for film-maker Aanand L Rai’s next project.

A few days ago, she also took the time between projects to launch her new clothing line, Nush. HT caught up with the actor for a quick chat on her career, being ‘focused’ on her craft, and more.

How excited or nervous are you about Nush?

I am very excited but obviously, when you do something that you have worked so much on and that has consumed you in a way that it becomes extremely personal, then there is a little bit of nervousness, which is paired with excitement. I am very happy with the feedback that I am getting straight from the horse’s mouth. So, I am happy that it has started off really well.

You are doing so many things at one go. How are you managing everything?

In the past two years of my life, I have realised how many things I have taken on. So, we just finished shooting for a film that I am producing. Now, I will start filming Aanand L Rai’s film. Also, I am not randomly picking roles but roles, which are challenging and demand something – for instance, prep work – out of me. Then, I am also starting my own clothing brand. So I am doing a lot of things but I enjoy that.

Still, is there a mantra that you follow vis-à-vis time management?

When I am doing something which challenges me, inspires me and pushes me forward, it gives me more focus, drive and add more meaning to my life. For me, it has always been about personal growth and not just that, ‘I have to become this or that.’ I just want to be a better version of myself, and not just as an actor, but as a person also.

Smartphone Photography Tips & Tricks

Recently, while talking to HT, Shah Rukh Khan praised the fact that you are doing great work as a producer. How do you find inspiration and strength for such things?

When something starts off, it comes from a very pure place. With films, it was like, ‘I want to make good cinema.’ My thought process is always that simple. At that time, you don’t think which direction you are heading towards and how easy or difficult will it be. But even when even realise that there are difficulties and challenges, they only help you grow. I feel you will have a very stunted growth as a person if you keep doing only one thing. Today, I feel a lot more confident as a person because of so many things that I do. And why shouldn’t I?

You made your debut with Shah Rukh, and now will team up with him again in Aanand L Rai’s next. How has your equation changed with him over the years?

I think I have a good working relationship with him. He has been a very good co-actor and I think we always find interesting roles to work on together. This film is also in the same zone. It’s always interesting to add a little bit of diversity in your pairing.

Since you are one of the busiest actors around, how much do you involve yourself with things other than acting?

When I put myself in such situations – be it making films or launching a clothing brand of my own, it’s never on a shallow level. I am completely involved – at the root level -- into it because I like a sense of ownership in what I am doing. When I involved myself completely, it gives me room to improve myself, to learn, and get knowledge of something that I don’t know. Ultimately, I don’t know what people will think of me, but leading your life is about personal growth.

You seem content and happy in your own space…

I feel I am able to streamline my life a lot more because of what I am doing. Mera dimaag faaltu cheezon mein jaata nahi hai. I am doing so many things that mere paas faltu cheezon ke liye time nahi hota hai. And I like that because it’s a very positive way of leading my life and I have the capacity to take on newer things, then why should I not? Also, I am not here getting insecure about things, so I am not thinking, ‘oh, what is this or that person doing?’

And clearly, there’s no overzealous marketing, PR exercises, planting stories etc. for you. Right?

It’s got to do with the fact that I have a lot of faith in my beliefs. I strongly believe that my way of thinking is very simplistic and it’s not very convoluted and isn’t determined by what people think — how they think I should function and how I should be. For me, everything is about two things: firstly, ‘is it leading to my personal growth as a human being and does it give me peace of mind? Bad mouthing someone, going overboard with marketing, pitting myself against somebody else or doing what someone else is doing just due to my insecurity doesn’t make me peaceful. I do things that make me peaceful.

How did the idea of a clothing line come about?

Actually, it has been on my mind for the past 4-5 years. To be specific, getting to this stage of launching the first season has taken almost one-and-a-half years. I feel clothes are something that we live in and so it’s a huge and personal part of our life. It helps us express ourselves, our styles and our moods too, so it becomes very personal and I wanted to create something that could be part of people’s lives in a personal manner.

Clearly, not just creative, you also have an enterprising mind?

I have always been enterprising as a person. Maybe that’s why clean our production house also started as the basic idea is to find something that challenges me, push myself and put myself out of my comfort zone to do things that takes things forward. Of course, NUSH is a business idea but it’s not just about business as the idea is to making clothes that can be easily styled, and that you can style yourself. Keeping all those factors in mind, we have created a brand that can be, in every way, part of someone’s life so that I can be, in some way, part of somebody’s life.

Of late, you have been busy shooting for Pari. Has it been a tough one?

Every film is tough albeit for different reasons but it’s been good. Also, the response, so far, has been phenomenal thanks to the posters. It’s creating the right kind of intrigue that we think it should have so, there’s a good feeling. As of now, I can’t talk much about it but I think it’s a bit different kind of a film; that’s what we are trying to do with our production house.

Your last film, Jab Harry Met Sejal didn’t do well. Were you saddened about it?

Of course! Every time a film doesn’t do as well as you wanted it to do, you feel sad but I think you have to understand that, ultimately, it’s a product that you put out there and try to do your best – as a producer or in JHMS’s case, as an actor. Then, you just leave things to the audience to decide and you have to respect however they respond.

Yash96

Return to Mirch Masala