• Advertisement

Here’s Why It’s Overrated To Be Looking For A Soulmate

Talk about everything from your favorite books and funniest jokes to politics and current events.

Here’s Why It’s Overrated To Be Looking For A Soulmate

Postby prabhuji » September 20th, 2017, 1:39 pm

Nowadays, perhaps more than ever before, pop culture has started affecting every aspect of our lives. So much so that we’ve started looking at depictions of romance and ‘soulmates’ in books, TV shows and movies and have, consciously or unconsciously, started using them as a template to what our real lives are supposed to be like. Real life, however, is not synonymous with the stories we saw depicted in The Notebook, Titanic or La La Land. In real life, the concept of soulmates can be hit and a miss. For instance, while some people might genuinely be able to find someone who’d love them and all of their eccentricities, most people don’t. Which is precisely why it’s incredibly overrated to look for your ‘soulmate’.

We live in the age of Tinder hook-ups, one where one-night-stands and no-strings-attached arrangements have become the new norm. We also live in a world where cheating on your partner has become more common than ever before, and where divorce rates are at an all-time-high. As such, it’s now become incredibly overrated for you (or anyone for that matter) to be looking for a ‘soulmate’. Waiting on your laurels for your Prince Charming to come sweeping into your life, or waiting to run into your McDreamy in a bar on some magical Saturday night, will leave you with doing just that – waiting. Forever. And the sooner you realize that, the better it’ll be.

I’m not trying to be pessimistic or cynical here, rather I’m only looking at things from a more realistic lens. I’m sure we all want to find the Raj to our Simran, the Rose to our Jack and the Noah to our Allie, but in the process we, more often than not, end up losing ourselves. So instead of doing that, why not focus on yourself instead? Why not work hard on your career? Why not work on your existing relationships with your friends and family members and work towards realizing your dreams? Why not, for lack of a better word, become a bit selfish? In all likelihood, you might just end up meeting someone along the way, someone who ends up checking most of your boxes, without you even having to actively look for them.

Type of Auto Walas in India

In the end, I’d just like to say this – In a world full of those attempting to be Raj and Simran, be a Rani from Queen instead. You won’t regret it.

prabhuji

Return to General Discussions