Hema Malini has lived her life under the spotlight

Bollywood Celebrities

Postby Rekha » January 11th, 2018, 1:23 am

"My daughters too have done the same. But I doubt if the next generation will. Maybe they will preserve everything on a USB, to keep their own memories light."

IMAGE: Hema Malini's mother Jaya helps her get ready for a dance recital.
Her Juhu bungalow is up for renovation again; this time to welcome Esha's autumn baby.
Esha's friend Noorien Jumani has been working on brand new interiors for Esha, Bharat and their first-born.
'I am also getting Ahaana's and my floors renovated," Hema tells me before pausing. "I have never shared this... but I remember how one day, while I was shooting in Mumbai, I got a call from my dad saying that I needed to get to Walkeshwar for a puja.'
'I never questioned my parents, so during the shoot break I went over. There I saw a sprawling sea-facing apartment that my father had just bought for me. He asked me if I liked the flat.'

Rekha

Postby Rekha » January 11th, 2018, 1:23 am

I'm amazed at the patience with which she handles these calls. This is certainly a new Hema sitting before me.

Meeting, connecting and sharing life with people at the grass-roots has been a humbling experience for the superstar.
"I cannot be expected to behave like a film star when I have decided to serve my people. They have voted for me with expectations and I cannot take them for granted," she reiterates.
IMAGE: A playful Hema Malini with her father, Vengarai Srisailesha Rangaramanuja Chakravarti.
Going back to her younger days, she tells me, "When we sold our first car -- a green Ambassador (bought by her father in Madras, now Chennai) -- we all got emotional and cried! I had learnt to drive in that car."
"Once, I ended up driving all the way to T Nagar, where my dance school was. I remember getting quite a firing when my father got to know, but I was a good driver and he didn't know that. I guess those are middle-class emotions -- honest and naïve."
"Nowadays we don't get attached to things so easily. We dispose of everything so casually, from relationships to mobile phones."
"That was a time and a generation that valued memoirs. I am still attached to my wedding sari, and preserve it with care. There are so many little things I have kept as loving mementos of my father and mother."

Rekha

Next

Return to Bollywood Celebrities